Bio-Asia Regional program
The regional program Bio-Asia is a French initiative directed at Asia in order to strengthen high-level scientific collaboration, as well as to develop a research network for French and regional academic communities in the field of biodiversity and biotechnologies studies, ranging from the study of natural substances to their applications in agronomy, cosmetics, forestry, health, etc.
The program is implemented by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development (MAEDI), in partnership with:
- French research bodies and higher education institutions, including the National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS), the Institute for Research and Development (IRD), the Agricultural Research Centre for International Development (CIRAD), the Institute Mines-Telecom, the National Institute for Health and Medical Research (INSERM), Pasteur Institute, the French Research Institute for Exploitation of the Sea (IFREMER), the National Museum of Natural History (MNHN) and the National Institute for Agricultural Research (INRA).
- The French Ministry for National Education Higher Education and Research (MENESR).
BIO-Asia is directed at public or private research units and laboratories attached to higher education institutions, research units or private companies. It encourages private sector participation. It supports projects involving French researchers and researchers from member countries of the Association of South-East Asian Nations (ASEAN: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam), as well as from Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, East Timor, India, Japan, Pakistan, South Korea, Taiwan.
The objective of BIO-ASIA is to promote the internationalization of French research, to strengthen, on the basis of mutual benefit, high-level scientific cooperation with and among emerging and developed Asian countries and to contribute to the regional integration by driving a search for excellence and support for scientific communities in Asia.
It aims to:
- Present what is offered by French partnership in the relevant research fields and to develop information and exchange mechanisms;
- Select and fund fundamental and applied research projects with potential technology transfers or innovations and with a regional scope involving France and at least two partner countries in Asia, of which at least one ASEAN member state;
- Foster future participation in other regional and multilateral programs in this research field and geographical area.
The subvention, granted for two years, partially funds the budget linked to the internationalization of the projects, i.e. researcher, post-doctoral or doctoral student mobility (travel and mission expenses) or organization of international workshops (mobility and logistics). Other costs are not eligible to funding.